The Base Package includes the following:
- Any number of schools that share same base data like exams, datesheet, branding, classes, etc. Ideally for different branches of one school.
- User Profiles have different capabilities and privileges. Students, Teachers, Moderators and Administrators in increasing order of influence. It is also possible to give particular privileges to particular people. Like giving whiteboard privilege to person X, or ability to edit student data to person Y.
Teachers, moderators and administrators can log into the system while students and parents cannot. The system also allows students and their parents to log into the website to see their data like result, homework, attendance, notfications, assignments, timetable, etc with the Student / Parent Profiles feature.
- Student Profiles, including student data management. Student data includes but is not limited to…
- Details like name, address, email, date of birth, parents names, phone numbers, blood group, reservation category, aadhar number, admission date, etc.
- The above list is dynamic, so schools can add as many student, teacher or parent data columns as they wish without any involvement from the site admin (me).
- Student morning and evening transportation routes along with driver and contractor name and number.
- Student's house, club or any other participation media.
- The classes student attended along with starting and ending date and optional/elective subjects (if any).
- The class data is saved historically, so school can also view their student's data in previous sessions.
- Teacher Profiles, including student data and class management.
- Same details as the student plus qualification, designation, etc.
- The list of columns is dynamic again so school can add as many columns as they wish.
- Teacher profile pictures that can be optionally shown on the school's faculty page or to parents/student that log into the site.
- The classes taught by the teacher along with optional/elective/class teacher markers.
- The class data is saved historicaly, so teachers can also view their class's data in previous sessions.
- Many different printouts for the data talked about above:
- Class Details: A class wise list of student along with their profile data that listed above.
- Teacher Details: A school wise list of teachers along with their profile information listed above.
- Teacher Classes: A school wise list of teachers along with the classes they teach and are class teacher of.
- Student Strength: A school wise list of classes along with the number of students in each section, boys, girls and total.
- Phone Number Details: A class wise list of students along with their parents name and phone numbers.
- Left Student: A school or class wise list of students that have left the school in any session.
- Reservation Category list: A school or class wise list of students that belong to any given reservation category.
- Transportation List: A list of all the buses along with their numbers, driver and contractor names and phone numbers.
- House / Club / Family Lists: A list of all the students in any selected house, club or family class wise or for entire school.
- Apart from these, new ones can be added as requested and feasible.
- School Planner can be used to mark school's holidays and any events that are happening in the school. The planner is visible to students, parents and teachers who log in. The same planner is then also used in attendance, timetable, datesheet and result parts of the system.
- Homework that teachers can add to their assigned classes and students can view online. It also includes a dashboard that moderators can use to see at glance what homework was given by what teacher class and section wise.
- Automatic generation of certificates that use the site's stored data. Schools can create any kind of template automatically generate any certificate for any student using the data in the system. Some examples of certificates that can be automaticaly generated are: Character Certificate, Transfer Certificate, Bonafide Certificate, etc.
- A Whiteboard that can be used to show customised messages to students, parents or teachers.
- Automated alerts that point out irregularities in student/teacher data like incomplete class information, invalid phone numbers, unassigned teachers, etc.
- A list of transportation mediums like buses with driver and/or contractor name and phone number that can be assigned to students to keep and official record of student's transportation details.
- Privileges can be assigned to individual users for any of the site's features to control who has access to what feature of the site.
Note Website hosting is not included in the base package. Hosting costs will vary on school by school basis according to any website they already have and would like to use.
Student / Parent Profiles
With this feature students and their parents will also be able to log into the website. Every student can have any number of parent profiles attached to them. Parents have access to certain information about the student.
- Parents can use their account to see details of however many children they have assigned in the system database.
- The site can also be used to view student's homework, attendance, result, assignments, timetable, events, whiteboard, etc by logging into the website.
- Parents can also view their own and their ward's information that is with the school. The school also has an option to allow students and parents to edit their infromation.
- The school can control when the result is visible to parents and students. The school can also revoke access to result on a class by class basis.
- A sibling list can hence be generated listing all the children that have their siblings studying in the school.
Teachers can take daily attendance of students and students, parents and teachers can view monthly reports class and student wise. In a little more detail:
- Teachers can take attendance for class that they are incharge of.
- Teachers can also mark leave along with a reason and type of absence (Medical, Participation, etc).
- Teachers and moderators can view any class's monthly attendance sheet with absent, present and leave markers and holidays along with student wise total and total working days etc.
- Student, Parents and Teachers can view a student's attendance in their profile along with monthly and yearly data crunch and leaves.
- Student's attendance is also included in the student report card.
The feature also includes following printout sheets:
- Class Attendance sheet shows entire class's daily attendance for any month in one sheet. The sheet can be seen by class teachers or moderators.
- Attendance Status sheet shows entire school's attendance status for any given day to see the teachers' progress in adding the attendance.
The system is optimized for CBSE schools but it can be adopted to used in any kind of examination enviornment including other boards, colleges, institutes etc. The feature includes the following:
- A datesheet interface to add exam wise datesheet for classes. Exams are added for all school branches and the datesheet is hence shared between schools.
- Teachers can add result for the classes that are assigned to them. The result is added only for the subject that they teach to any given class.
- Moderators can see the entire school's result progress through the result dashboard which includes class and exam wise teacher progress for the entire session.
- Moderators can also edit any result added by the teachers.
- Teachers can add student wise remarks for any exam which can then be reflected in report card.
- A comprehensive set of configuration options for report card, compiled sheet, detailed marks etc are available to moderators.
The feature also includes following printout sheets:
- Report Card sheet shows the report card for any selected student in any of the sessions in the site.
- Compiled Sheet shows entire class result in one single sheet either per subject or consolidated for all subjects along with some statistics like grade analysis, averages, etc.
- Detailed Marks sheet shows marks of one particular subject along with some statistics like average, highest, total, etc.
SMS / Email Service
This feature lets you send campaign messages in bulk to parents and / or students of any selection criterion (like class, school, session, etc) through Email and / or SMS messages. SMS charges are not included in the feature cost and will be extra based on usage. Currently only promotional messages are supported.
The feature also includes following:
- Moderator can filter recipients based on any of the following criterion: Type (student, parent, teacher), school, session, class, section, name.
- The delivery of email / SMS is done in bulk to the recipients selected above.
- Each SMS campaign will have a detailed report of which numbers were successfully delivered and which weren't. Reasons for non delivery can by many and are out of scope and control of the application. You will only be charged for the messages that were successfuly sent.
- Per SMS cost is available at the dashboard. Emails are delivered free of any charge.
- The system will also generate a monthly report with number of messages sent (both email and SMS) along with the cost breakdown and online reciepts.
Note: Emails can often be ignored / go to junk or spam and promotional SMS messages are not delivered to numbers that have DND activated.
This is a simpler version of timetable that has far less features but is functional in it's own way.
- School can upload files like .doc or .pdf etc along with marking the school, session, class and section of the timetable.
- The students, teachers and parents in the selected class will then be able to view and download the file containing timetable form their home screens.
- This lacks all the intelligent stuff that can be done to improve user experience like customised timetable, historical data, substitutions, access restrictions, etc.
Note: This feature is still in the development phase. The following is the description of how the final product is expected to behave. The final product will almost certainly be a little different. A working prototype is ready and can be requested for preview.
This feature will let the school define a weekly timetable. Concerned teachers, students and parents can view their own personal timetable on the site as well.
- Moderators can define a Master Timetable that will act as a blue print for the daily timetable.
- Moderators will also be able to define any number of time-slot formats that the daily timetable will adhere to. This will be used for example to easily switch between winter / summer times.
- Moderators can also assign substitutions to any lecture of the timetable. Substituted teachers and students will see the change in their own timetable immediately.
- Moderators will be given a teacher's past substitution record and other relevant information along with a list of free teachers to pick from for that lecture.
- The timetable will be visible in dynamic charts and can be seen for any of the following dimensions: School, session, class, section, subject, teacher, date.
- Students and parents when logged in will see the timetable of classes they study in. It will be a live generated timetable that will reflect any changes made by the moderator immediately.
- Teachers can see their daily agenda. They will see the daily schedule including details of any substitutions they have for that day.
The events feature allows moderators to publish any events that take place in the school or that school participates in. It includes the following features:
- Moderators can add events along with a description, event date, etc.
- The events can also have participants (teachers and students). The students can be added individually or entire classes at a time.
- Moderators can also upload photos to events that can then be seen by students, parents, teachers, etc.
- Events can also optionally be showcased on the website homepage.
- And very soon the latest photos from events can be automatically shown on the homepage as a slide show.
This includes the front end content website that will be visible to the parents.
- The website is for users that don't log in. The site can have an (reasonably) unlimited number of pages.
- Each school branch will also be provided a blog that can be used to publish news articles, notifications, circulars, etc to parents.
- The blog's posts, school events and a photo gallery of events can also be shown on the school's homepage.
- The school staff can change the contents of any page including styling and text formatting.
- The website will have a menu to list the pages which can be customised by the school staff including different styles like horizontal, vertical, etc.
- Some rudamentry SEO will also be done to improve search engine rankings of the website.
Moderators or class teachers can also upload assignments with a due date for any class.
- The assignment can be uploaded with a title, attachments, description, due date and it's corresponding school, class and section.
- The attachments can be files of any type (.doc, .pdf, .jpg, etc) that will hold the assignment itself.
- Students and parents can see their or their children's assignments that are not over due on their homepage.
- When the assignment's due date has passed, the assignment vanishes from students' and parents' home pages.
- The students will turn in the assignment solutions offline. This feature is a one sided communication.
Student Profile Pictures
This is listed as a separate feature because storing photos for every student takes up extra server space and is hence charged extra. Teacher profile pictures are however free and included in the base package.
Some key points
- Subscribing to any feature means any changes, updates and improvements made to the feature will automatically be available to all schools subscribed to it.
- This means that any small features and improvements requested by one school will be available to every other school in the system and the system keeps improving for everyone over time.
- The site can have at most 10,000 users (students + teachers + parents) per account.
- The site works on any device with an up to date browser including Desktop PCs, smartphones, laptops, tablets, watches, etc. Most mordern browsers no longer support Windows XP so as a consequence the site won't work on Windows XP. Windows 7 is the minimum suggested operating system.
- The site's core components will only work on a device with up to date browsers. If the school elects to let parents or students log in to the website then they will be expected to use a modern browser.
- I will provide adequate training to school faculty. The responsibility of educating students and parents about using the site however lies on school's staff. I will of course assist them to the best of my abilites.
- The system takes an automatic backup of it's entire data at midnight every night to guard against any malicious activities.
- The site's feature list is only what's promised here. Any changes or new features to the system can be added either for free (small change) or for charge (big change). Deciding whether a change is small or big is completely at my discretion.
- This guide also doesn't list every small feature of the system. It gives an overview fit for quick judgement but an indepth preview can be requested anytime.
- The latest copy of this manual can be seen at http://achshar.com/school/about